Last Updated on July 22, 2021 by Bright Calister
If you want to paint a door with a roller, we have a list of tips that will enable you to know how to paint doors with rollers that makes the job easier and help you to give your doors a professional look. Painting is an excellent way to make houses, doors, and cabinets beautiful. Learning how to paint doors with rollers will make your painting stress free and perfect.
Learning to paint a flat door with a roller
The process of painting a flat door with a roller allows you to work faster than when you use a brush. Also, it gives you additional time to spread the paint before it dries. Immediately you learn how to paint a flat door with a roller, and you will understand how to paint a garage foot with a roller. Hence, it will be easy to revamp the freshness and style of your home’s interior and exterior parts.
There are over 100 paint colors to choose from when you want to paint your flat door. Therefore, it is easy to select a complementary color for your home.
Tips on how to paint a door with a roller
Proper preparation with the right tools and materials alongside a good painting technique is vital to giving your door an excellent durable finish. The professional tips listed below will make your door look fresh and beautiful
- It would be best to wedge the door in place so it can’t move during painting.
- Sand down either side of the door, including the edges.
- Use masking tape in the handles and the hinges.
- Before you pour the paint into a tray, it would be best to stir the paint thoroughly.
- It would be good to use a brush to paint when you want to paint the hinges and handles.
- It is crucial to use a roller with an M and W technique, start from the edges and roll down to the middle of the door before going up then down.
- If you don’t want to leave brush marks on the paint, don’t brush the paint and wait to dry before you apply the second coat.
- Repair any damage to the door before painting it. Fill holes or cracks you notice on the door before you paint it.
- Use a primer. It would be good to coat the door with a primer and allow it dry before you paint. This step will enable the paint to stick better.
- It would help if you only used what you need. Hence, get rid of the excess paint from your roller with the help of a paint tray. It would help you eliminate splatter, dripping, and uneven coverage.
- It would be best if you remembered to sand between coats. To eliminate any faults and gently smoothen the door surface, the most effective approach is to use sandpaper.
- It would be best to paint in the direction of the grain. This step will help you give the door a smoother finish.
The best type of roller brush for painting doors
When you are looking for a paint roller for your doors, it is best to create a checklist of features and specs to get the right one. The roller’s frame and handle are crucial in the way you will use the roller to paint. We shall look at few things you should consider before buying a roller.
Long or extendable handles
If you plan to paint a large door, make sure your roller has a long handle so you can reach the top area.
There are rollers for specific frames. Hence, you should consider the door frame and ensure it is compatible with the roller you want to use.
If the door frame has ball bearings, it will allow the roller cover to roll over the surface with ease and prevent slip-ups.
Length of the roller
The length of the paint roller is crucial to the success of the entire project. It can have a significant impact on how efficient your painting will be at the end. If you want to paint the smaller sections or panels of the door, it is best to use the 4-inch rollers.
The ideal length for the average door is six or 7-inches. But, for more oversized and garage doors, it is best to use the 9-inch roller.
How to gloss paint a door with a roller
The most effective way on how to paint doors with roller is to keep a wet edge every time. If you are using semi-gloss paint, you should know they come with their gloss built into their production. Hence, you may need to lay it on as far as you can to maximize the gloss.
The trick is not to over roll the surface. The number of roll strokes should not exceed four. Using more than four strokes will make the surface too dark, causing the rise of another issue. If you need to roll the surface for a more extended period, you need to get a better quality paint or a primer.
Best paint finish for interior doors
All interior doors mentioned below are ideal candidates for semi-gloss, gloss, or high-gloss finishes. Semi-gloss finish is popularly used on interior trim, which comprises door jambs and doors. The finish provides rigorous cleaning with a wet cloth and dusting.
Usually, doors tend to collect dust, identical to the furniture within the interior. Hence, you have to clean them regularly. Therefore, a semi-gloss or high-gloss paint finish is the best.
How to paint an interior door
The first step to take here is to clean any dust on the surface before painting. This step will help you prevent any materials from hiding under paint, causing the finish to look rough after the paint dries. Cover all flooring if you are painting indoors. So you will find it easier to clean up after you are done painting.
Mask door hardware – with a sharp knife, cut the tape to the appropriate measurement. You can remove masking tape when the paint has not dried. This step will stop you from cutting tape edges. If you allow the paint to dry completely, you will need a knife with a sharp tip to cut the tape.
Furthermore, you need to smoothen the surface of the door. If the door is smooth, it will create a good finish. Therefore, taking your time to make the surface of the door smooth before painting is the best. Finally, keep a damp edge when painting. Immediately it is dried, the glossy finish will shine through for everyone to see.
How to paint a panel door
It would help if you had both a roller and a brush to paint a panel door successfully. Start by dipping the brush because you will want to brush evenly over all the indented molding, the individual panel and let it dry. After moldings are dried, select the 6-inch Winnie-roller with a half-inch nap.
Then, roll out all the horizontal sections on the door surface. Afterward, let it dry properly. The two separate coatings bond at the end as one, leaving the panel door freshly painted.
Conclusion-How to Paint Doors with Roller
Painting is one of the best ways we make things beautiful. Doors are an essential part of our homes. Although the use of brushes for painting is widespread, rollers make it easier to paint surfaces. In the article, we have discussed vital tips that will enable you to paint with rollers easily.